Instead of anwering which tournaments would makeup a triple crown, I'd like to work backwards from what it takes to be a triple crown tournament. Here's my top 5:
1. The triple crown should be consistent in team count, and 2 is not enough in my opinion. This means that the triple crown should be 3 person team minimums. Right now, there are only 2 tournaments that would meet this guideline: US Nats and Rockford, IL.
2. The triple crown should have 32 or more 3 person teams. Again, we look at Rockford and Eau Claire.
3. The triple crown should represent seperate states. Looks like Iowa and Minnesota are in a slugfest for the #3 spot.
4. The triple crown should entice the best teams to participate, and should represent the various seasons of kubb
5. The triple crown should have a uniqueness; an oddity. Format perhaps? Conditions, such as on a lake or indoors?
Right now, in my honest opinion, we are 1 tournament away from a triple crown in the Midwest, with a few contenders on the periphery. Based on growth, I see Minneapolis becoming the 3rd. They can move to 3 players and still get the numbers, even in the dead of winter. They could be the end of the crown, or the beginning. They are unique, and they put on a jolly good show.
However, I could see a Quad-Cup (think four kubbs and a baton hitting them as the trophy) between the 4 major states in Kubb Country. Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa, and the four seasons of kubb. Once the four tournaments get to 3 person teams with 32 teams, we should incorporate this challenge. I don't want to discredit any other tournaments out there, and I don't want to skew the participation based on some silly cup or trophy or anything. I'm simply thinking out loud here, and I mean no offense. Be the 3rd tournament to 32 three player teams and it's yours. You know you can do it all y'all.
As for Team Knockerheads, or Sweden Son's, or any other team hosting their own tournament....it will be impossible to win the Quad-Cup. This elimiates a lot of potential for taking such a crown. We are still pretty DIY, running our own tournaments. A 3 person K-heads would never be able to test their skill in a DMK meat-grinder, for example....unless......
Would anyone be interested in running the DMK tournament next year?
But perhaps it isn't about WINNING them all. Perhaps the Quad-Cup winner is the team that gets the most points in the four tournaments? Perhaps there is something else we can all think of that benefits the team that travels and supports all the states that do the best they can for kubb.
"Perhaps kubb doesn't come from a store. Maybe kubb....perhaps....means a little bit more."
- The Grinch Who Stole Kubb